- This event has passed.
Wildlife Emergency Assistance Workshop
August 26 @ 12:30 pm - 4:30 pmFree
Wildlife Emergency Assistance Workshop with Tracy Burgess
Learn introductory principles of emergency wildlife assistance. The workshop will provide:
– an overview of species most commonly found in the Blue Mountains;
– information about what to do if you are a first responder for injured wildlife, including a kit that you can keep in your car;
– best practice for reducing the chance of causing injuries to wildlife in your house and garden;
– how you can provide shelter for wildlife in your garden;
– and how to support wildlife during extreme weather events and bushfire seasons.
Tracy Burgess has been volunteering with WIRES since 2016. In addition to doing 650-750 rescues each year, she is the Blue Mountains Branch Coordinator and Team Leader for the Emergency Management Team, which responds to native animal issues arising from fires, floods, and other extreme weather events. She keeps two rooms of her house as a wildlife hospital, with cages and aviaries in the garden.
You can find more information about WIRES (Wildlife Information, Rescue and Education Service) here.
No experience necessary.