- This event has passed.
The art of Ikebana with Harumi
August 5 @ 10:30 am - 1:00 pm
Ikebana workshop to explore Japanese aesthetics and a more traditional and sustainable way of living.
Make beautiful and sophisticated floral compositions in a fun and relaxing Ikebana workshop with Harumi. Suitable for beginners, in this class you will learn how to use the traditional techniques of Japanese flower arranging to place and secure flowers and foliage; you will make 2 or 3 different arrangements, experimenting with textures and colours to create balanced compositions.
This class will explore Japanese aesthetic and traditional Japanese way of living through ikebana.
- Embracing nature in a daily life.
- Refined simplicity – how to use space effectively. Less is more (composition)
- Finding beauty in imperfection. (Accepting and appreciating the cycle of nature).
Harumi will provide supplies of vases and Ikebana frogs for use in the class, please bring with you to the workshop containers, flowers and foliage.
Bring with you:
- Flowers and foliage to use in the workshop. Keeping in mind sustainable living you may like to bring seasonal flowers foraged from your gardens or neighbourhoods. Bring some extras to swap with your fellow classmates in the workshop. You can purchase flowers from a florist if you wish, but luckily, there are many flowers in the mountains in winter, look for camellias, narcissus, and wattles.
- Containers. A vase for flowers, a bowl, a cup, a glass jar, a basket etc. Especially vases and glass jars with small holes are very useful. If a container is too big, a small glass jar can be hidden inside.
- A pair of scissors for pruning.
4. A mixing bowl – this will be used to hold the plants while they are cut.
Extra info: Morning tea provided – tea, coffee and biscuits.
Cost: $60 / $50 InSight Members
Early bird price: $55 / $45 InSight Members, for bookings before Sunday 16 July